Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MEDIATIONS: Steam Greenlight
GenkiPatto-
n

Administrator
Post MEDIATIONS: Steam Greenlight
on: July 19, 2012, 23:08

Steam chat has moved on from last week’s Greenlight announcement to the summer sale (I’ve already spent too much money on it and there are 4 days left to go :/, so this is a little late, but I thought I’d say a couple of words on the Steam Greenlight announcement.

Rumors of Valve’s Steam team being stretched to the limit by the number of applications have been circulating since last year and on the face of it the Greenlight seems a great idea to alleviate that workload and democratize the process so that users can determine what games are made available on Steam.

So great, yeah? In principle, yeah, but the big question is how this will work in practice. It would be all to easy for this to turn into an ever-escalating fight for developers to win votes, and that could get very messy, very quickly. Moreover, making a good game potentially become less important than winning votes to get on Steam.

This development might not happen for some time, but for companies such as Nyu Media, Carpe Fulgur and Rockin’ Android, the Greenlight has the potential to disintermediate us from at least part of the process of bringing doujin games overseas. If getting on Steam is boiled down to a submission process and popularity contest, then the hurdle for doujin developers getting onto Steam under their own power [Achievement: Pun Avoided] potentially becomes lower. If that were to happen, then as far as Nyu Media is concerned, MORE POWER TO THEM! We’re sincere in our wish to see doujin games flourish on a global scale and if devs going to Greenlight directly helps further that cause then we’re happy to see it happen. Whatever the implications for Nyu Media as a company might be, we’ll work something out.

Back to the greenlight process; the potential pitfalls are immediately apparent and the press release does raise a number of questions about the fine details. However, Valve has a lot of very smart people working for them, so I would expect these issues to be avoided or solved pretty soon after the system launches at the end of August (is that allowing for Valve time?)

Nyu Media’s participation in the Steam Greenlight is still TBC. Our current slate is locked in with Capcom, but if possible we would love to explore for titles in our second slate, which we will announce before summer Comiket. Unfortunately, too little data is available right now for us to be able to commit to the process, and timing is tight as distribution for our second slate will need to be tied down ahead of the end of August. In any case, we’ll of course be keeping a very close eye on developments and keeping fingers crossed that the Greenlight can deliver on its potential.

Zergem

Beginner
Post Re: MEDIATIONS: Steam Greenlight
on: July 20, 2012, 02:46

I’m pretty sure that Steam Greenlight will deliver; and there are a lot of games that I’d love to see on it.

Veleskola

Pro
on: July 20, 2012, 13:06

All I want is more Japanese doujin games on steam. Because… I’ve bought them all now… So I have nothing to buy on the sale 🙁
Then again I really should finish all these games I bought. I still haven’t finished Cherry tree high or exceed and I bought them months ago.
I can’t wait for the next slate to be announced so I can stare in awe of the awesomeness that shall be in my steam library. Hopefully. Still sad that I had to settle for getting Exceed and Cherry tree high on gamersgate.

I want more! Less Shmups though. We have enough of those.

Peroim_Fel-
d

Pro
on: July 20, 2012, 13:11

Quote from GenkiPatton on July 19, 2012, 23:08

but the big question is how this will work in practice. It would be all to easy for this to turn into an ever-escalating fight for developers to win votes, and that could get very messy, very quickly. Moreover, making a good game potentially become less important than winning votes to get on Steam.

Valve already stated that simply getting a high number of votes does not guarantee that the game will be added to Steam. How, exactly, they’ll handle the system remains to be seen, but they are well aware of this potential issue.

at the end of August (is that allowing for Valve time?)

Fortunately, Valve Time only applies to their games.

This development might not happen for some time, but for companies such as Nyu Media, Carpe Fulgur and Rockin’ Android, the Greenlight has the potential to disintermediate us from at least part of the process of bringing doujin games overseas. If getting on Steam is boiled down to a submission process and popularity contest, then the hurdle for doujin developers getting onto Steam under their own power [Achievement: Pun Avoided] potentially becomes lower. If that were to happen, then as far as Nyu Media is concerned, MORE POWER TO THEM! We’re sincere in our wish to see doujin games flourish on a global scale and if devs going to Greenlight directly helps further that cause then we’re happy to see it happen. Whatever the implications for Nyu Media as a company might be, we’ll work something out.

In order to do that, they would have to provide their English version of the game. This isn’t mandatory AFAIK, but considering that the vast majority of the Steam crowd doesn’t know Japanese, I doubt Valve would be willing to accept such submissions. This means they’ll either have to do it themselves (which would require someone in the circle that is both fluent in English (Engrish doesn’t count) and good at translating (which requires more than simply being good at both languages), plus a lot of time depending on the project) or hire someone to handle the translation for them. I think it’s safe to assume that the first case is pretty rare, and if they are going for the second one, it makes more sense to hire someone with past experience, like the companies mentioned. So while not impossible, I don’t think you’ll run out of business anytime soon.

There are other issues you might want to consider, though. For example, complaining about the Destructoid review of EVR (not saying that’s what you did, but it can easily be interpreted that way) could easily create a massive backlash; all it takes is one angry fanboy on Youtube to rally the hordes towards flaming you straight out of the system. This is a very common ocurrence in the ‘net, so extreme caution is needed; even a seemingly small mistake can result in a very big PR headache afterwards.

On the bright side, Greenlight brings with it some good points: it will “force” developers to interact with their fans, making it much easier to spot the rotten apples earlier. Also, since Greenlight accepts unfinished projects, devs can use it to gather feedback and listen to their fans’ thoughts before the final product is done, allowing them to correct bad decisions, like what happened with Manken (yes, I’m still mad about it).

Of course, this all speculation. We’ll have to wait to see how this all works out.

GenkiPatto-
n

Administrator
on: July 20, 2012, 13:45

Veleskola:
I can relate to not getting through purchased games. Possibly all I did with all those Summer Sale purchases was move my backlog of ‘games to play’ onto my desktop.
As for the shmups… well, to manage your expectations, there are 3 shmups and 2 games of other genres in the next slate. Sorry about that, but we love these shmups!

Peroim_Feld:
Wow, we’re almost completely in agreement 🙂

Veleskola

Pro
on: July 22, 2012, 15:09

So will you guys be heading to comiket to try and scout for more potential projects?

Pages: [1]

Mingle Forum by cartpauj

Version: 1.0.34
;
Page loaded in: 0.152 seconds.